So what has been keeping me so busy besides the obvious? Well, I've been trying to do a lot of painting for one thing. This summer I got two very large areas of our house painted, but then I fizzled out. I'm tired of the beige walls in the rest of the house, though, as well as the boxes that I've yet to unpack because rooms aren't done and I don't want to put stuff away only to move it again. So, finally, I've gotten back to washing glue off walls, picking paint colors and rolling my way to more colorful walls.
My quest to finish my house is certainly not the most important thing though filling up our days. We've had visits from my mom and Jeremy's parents. Emma loves seeing her grandparents and became much more attached during their recent visits wanting them far more than she wanted me.
We also joined a playgroup and had our first playdate at our house last week. Emma had 3 little friends and their mommies over. She loved the company, as did I, but did try, more than once, to steal the binky out of one little girl's mouth. I was a little embarrassed, but she does have the same one so I guess I can't totally blame her. Everyone had a good time despite the binky snatching and the moms were all a little envious of our playroom!
Emma and I have also joined another type of playgroup. It's in town and run by a family resource organization called the HUB. We go every Tuesday for some free-play in a classroom, followed by an art project and then snack, singing and stories. It's for all ages, but she is usually by far the baby. Yesterday was a much younger group so a lot of the kids were only a few months older than her. No matter what the ages of the other kids are Emma has a great time. I love bring home her artwork and it's good for her to be in a classroom type setting since most of her day is spent with me and only me.
So now for a confession, a very large portion of my days recently have been devoted to my new book club. I went to my first book club get together on Monday which was so much fun. I really liked the women and am starting to feel like I have some friends here. Anyway, why did the book take up so much of my time, you ask? Well, because the assigned book was 'Twilight'. If you've read it then, you probably understand that I couldn't just read the assigned book - the first in the series. I had to follow up with the other 3. I spent every spare moment last week reading. I read approximately 2500 pages in a week. It's become a bit of an obsession, I'm embarassed to admit. There's just something about 'Edward Cullen' that just makes me want read about him all day. I even had to start re-reading the first book before book club because after reading all 4 books and seeing the movie thr - uh - more than once, I forgot what really happened in each book. Luckily, I'm not the only woman my age with a school girl crush on the shiny, silver Volvo driving vampire. Our whole book club was swooning over Edward. (sigh)
In between, reading 'Twilight' and going to playgroups, I chased Emma around as she battled her first cold, cut 2 molars bringing her tooth total to 10, learned to stand up without pulling up on anything and ... drum roll please ... officially learned to WALK!!! Of course, she still falls down constantly, but she walks farther and farther each day without falling and is choosing walking over crawling as her preferred method of getting from one place to another. The walking, the molars and the cold all wreaked havoc on mood Emma's mood and sleeping schedule ... and, in turn, my sanity, but we seem to be back to normal except for the fact that her new found mobility means that she is no longer content to play quietly in her playroom preferring instead to roam around the whole first floor of our house, which, of course, is not exactly babyproofed. Yet another item on my never ending list of things to do.
Yes, having an almost-15-month old is exhausting and challenging, but when she puts her mouth on your knuckles as you hold her hands while she is in a baby version of time out, and instead of biting them, kisses them and says 'kips, kips', you realize that all the challenges and exhaustion are worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment