So now that Emma is 2, the potty training issue on the table. Is she ready? Am I ready? I don't really know the question to either of these questions. What I do know is that I want her trained by her next birthday so she can start pre-school in the Fall. Beyond that though, I'm kind of at a loss!
We aren't pushing it just yet because, well, for one she just turned 2 and for another I don't really want to stress her (or myself) out about it. Beyond those two basics, though, we have run into a few things that are keeping us from being a diaper free household. (At least until, a sibiling comes along whenever that may be.)
Issue # 1 - Learning how to sit on the potty.
Issue #2 - Learning what to put in the potty.
Issue # 3 - Learning where and when to use the potty. Emma likes to carry her potty out of the bathroom, into the kitchen and strip right there.
Issue #4 - the underwear issue. Emma has the waist and tushie of an infant. Size 6-12 month pants are still loose on her ... with a diaper on. 12 - 18 months have to be rolled at the waist and 18 -24 months are pretty much a lost cause. She just isn't the standard size of a potty training toddler.
I bought some Pull-Ups for when the time comes, but she really still wears a size 3 diaper and they only come in size 4 and above. Plus I really don't want to rely on Pull-Ups for too long.
So where does one buy infant sized underwear? Well, I did buy some XS thick cotton training pants at Hanna Andersson (at $25 for 3 pairs!), and while they are cute, soft and make very cute little pj shorts, they certainly wouldn't hold any accidents in.
I may not be able to train her until I can find underwear that fits! It's a moot point if there's nothing to replace the diaper.
Issue #5 - She's just not quite ready. While she does like her pottys (The beautiful rocking chair in the background is actually a potty chair that my mom bought her for Christmas, but currently her infant sized tushy is a little too small to keep from falling into the hole.) and her potty books, but the idea of using the potty is still a bit of a novelty. Not to mention the fact that she still denys the existence of poop in her diaper 90% of the time.
Issue #6 - I don't think I'm quite ready. I don't mind (usually) changing diapers. It just isn't that big an issue. Mostly, though, I REALLY don't want to drop everything and rush to the bathroom in the middle of Target, the grocery store or somewhere that doesn't even have potty because she has to go ... NOW!
So I guess for now we'll just keep talking about the potty and reading our books. I'll keep searching for tiny underwear. And when she's ready, she'll tell me. I hope. Okay maybe if she doesn't tell me by Thanksgiving, I'll buy a book about potty training. Maybe.
1 comment:
erin...you have a great approach to this. when spencer was ready, she was ready. do you need to get back to work? do you need to be somewhere? what would the rush be, honestly? she's not going to go to 1st grade in diapers. you KNOW that! enjoy emma as a toddler and it'll all fall into place. (side note: since we let spencer decide when she was ready...we've N-E-V-E-R had to deal with that issue of "I have to go to the bathroom NOW" b/c she taught herself how to hold it!"
Post a Comment