Friday, July 22, 2011

The Way It's Supposed to Be

I've said many times that Jeremy and I learned a lot about parenting, about life and about ourselves while Emma was in the NICU.  We would be different parents today if things had gone differently 3 years ago.  For one, I don't think we would be as grateful to have the opposite experience the second time around.  We understand that not everybody gets to 'room in' with their new baby.  We understand that the nurses and doctors don't always bring good news.  We understand that not everyone leaves the hospital with their new baby tucked safely in his or her car seat.  Now that we've had Cate and everything went better than we could have hoped, we understand that this is the way it's supposed to be!

Cate's first bed, right next to mine

Our hospital stay was uneventful.  We all shared a room.  The nurse gave Cate her first bath on my bed.  A photographer came to our room and did a photoshoot of beautiful newborn shots.  (I'm highly bummed that we didn't have the same for Emma!)

 My parents brought Emma to meet her new sister.  My friend, Amanda, a new mom herself, stopped by with some amazing donuts from a new shop nearby. Cate slept ... a lot.  The pediatiricians gave her a glowing bill of health.  Then, less than 48 hours after her birth, we came home ... together!


Meeting Grandpa Don and Emma for the first time. Happy to see Grandma Jane again.


Emma was so excited to see her new baby sister.

 
Mommy and my beautiful girls


Amanda meeting Cate.  We had the same doctors while pregnant so it was fun to compare notes.
 Thanks for the amazing donuts, Amanda!

Stretching out on Mommy's bed.  The little anklet on her leg is a tracking device to make sure babies don't get taken! Crazy! The nurse called her Hospital Arrest anklet.

Giving Daddy some love.

I was a nervous wreck the whole way home since it's a long ride and I couldn't sit with Cate in the back seat.  With 2 car seats, there's no longer room for anyone else.  We all made it in spite of my anxiety.  Cate didn't even make a peep.  Actually, I would've preferred a few peeps so I at least new she was okay.

This hat was Emma's.  It was supposed to be part of her coming home outfit.  For obvious reasons, we didn't wear it home. Guess 0-3 months, doesn't include the first few days.

Ahh real clothes and a soft blanky.  All dressed to come home.  Again, I guess, she doesn't fall into the 0-3 month category just yet. 

Mommy, why don't my clothes fit?


Ready to go home! Less than 48 hours after her birth! 

We were greeted by pink and gray balloons on our mailbox (the colors of Cate's nursery) and a big, pink 'It's a Girl' balloon in the shape of a baby's footprint.  Emma was so excited to see Cate and wanted to help ... with EVERYTHING.  Of course, wouldn't you know that somehow, the girl who is never sick ends up with a cough and a frog in her throat the day her newborn sister comes home.  Much to her dismay, we've had to limit her interaction with Cate.  She still loves her 'cute, little ears' and her 'tiny, piggy toes'.  She loves to kiss her feet and sing to her.  And she has become really good at bringing me diapers and putting the old ones in the trash.  I'd say that so far, she's not resenting Cate's entrance into the world.

Mom made us lunch.  We hung out just holding and adoring Cate.  I enjoyed the Cakebread chardonnay that Jeremy bought me for my birthday, not knowing that I was pregnant at the time!  Andrew made a surprise visit.  We had fillet mignon (cooked medium rare and topped with blue cheese - pregnancy no-nos). It was delightful!

Of course, Cate did sleep all day and then decide to stay awake from about 10 pm - 2:30 am, but we eventually got some sleep.

 Today is proving to be even better.  She's awake a lot more, eating well, had a bath and has been napping well too.  I'm just enjoying every moment!  Yep, this is the way it's supposed to be.

1 comment:

Nobodys Nothings said...

i'm so happy for you. :D Cate is a beautiful addition to your already beautiful family!