Anyway, we quietly sat there eating our frozen yogurt. Emma quietly sitting anywhere is highly unusual. "What do you want to chat about, Sweet Pea?" I asked. "Nothing. I'm just eating my yogurt." Okay. I can take a hint. So I just watched her. I looked at her soft ivory complexion. Her slimmed down cheeks. Her very thick, long hair. Her thing, bony wrists. I tried to imagine the toddler I had in New Hampshire. We had this brown chair in the playroom. Many books were read together sitting in that chair. She would bring my book after book. I realized, I couldn't see that little girl anymore. I couldn't reconcile the baby/toddler in my memories with the all-of-a-sudden very grown up little girl in front of me. I had this feeling that I haven't been paying attention for the last 9 months. Since Cate was born, I've been so busy being the mom of 2 kids. I've been busy dealing with her ever changing moods, figuring out which discipline technique was most appropriate, scheduling playdates, taking pictures ... While I was doing all this, she grew up. She's beautiful and amazing, but I wish I had paid attention more. Well I will with Cate ...
Yesterday I took her to a play. It was warm so I looked in her closet for a cute summer dress that we haven't worn much, but might only get one or two more wearings. She has adorable pink ruffled dress. We call it her cupcake dress. In my head, she got it last summer and looked almost the same wearing it now as she did then. The pictures proved me wrong.
| July 2010 ... yep, not last year like I thought, 2010! |
| April 2012 |
Today we went to my friend, Amanda's daughter's 1st birthday party. I picked a pink, oxford cloth shirt dress (size 12 months) for Cate to wear. It was the first thing I ever bought Emma, right after I found out she was going to be a girl. I like to compare Cate and Emma at the same age or in the same outfit from time to time. So here it is ...
| Cate - April 15, 2012 - 9 months |
| Not the same outfit, but this was Emma on April 15th, 2008 - 9 months. With about 6 extra pounds, I think she would look just like Cate! |
Looking back at those pictures, I noticed that around this time, Emma was just getting her first 2 teeth. Cate is currently sprouting numbers 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. Yes! 6 teeth at one time. 3 are through the gums and 3 are rapidly working their way out. Poor girl. Funny how different they can be.
That's all the flashing back I'm doing today. Hope you enjoyed it!
1 comment:
It was wonderful seeing you and your gorgeous girls. Thank for coming!
Post a Comment