Yesterday morning, I got up early so I could dry my hair and put make-up on for a change. I was so excited to get going because we had a trip planned to the NICU! I really couldn't believe how excited I was to go, but I've really been missing the people there and the support they provided us, lately. I was also looking forward to talk to someone other than a 6 month old.
When we arrived, I rang the bell on the intercom. The voice asked, 'May I help you?' I said that I had Emma Leghorn to see Cathy and Danette. I recognized the voice, but wasn't sure she'd recognize me. She obviously did though because the tone in her voice changed as she said she'd page them. While we waited, another woman who I've seen a million times, but never actually met, came over and said how big she was getting and how cute she was. I didn't think she actually knew who we were other than she recognized us as a past NICU family. I told her who we were waiting for and she peeked her head in the other door and said, "Emma Leghorn is here!" I couldn't believe she knew her name! At the same time, the woman from the intercom along with the other woman that works at the front desk, came rushing to the door with smiles on their faces hardly being able to contain the excitement of seeing their little 'Emma Bean'. They actually were the ones who gave her that nickname, at least to my knowledge. Shortly after, more and more friendly, smiling faces came rushing out to see us.
What a warm welcome! It was amazing. How could I have thought for a second that they would've forgotten about us! We got hugs upon hugs. I told everyone about her surgeries and how we think everything is fixed now. I told them what a good girl she is and how happy she is all the time. Cathy was the first to ask to hold her which I wasn't suprised by. She seemed so excited to get her hands on her. Emma smiled and seemed happy to see her. I sometimes wonder if she recognizes the nurses who took such good care of her. Emma was smiley and giggly as people took turns holding her. Everyone thought she looked wonderful - happy, interactive, expressive - and couldn't believe how much bigger she'd gotten.
I told them how much they all meant to us and that I still miss being there. Of course, they know that I don't miss all that Emma went through there, but that I miss my experiences with each of them. One of the nurse practitioners that I always liked talking to asked if I wouldn't mind be called upon as a parent-to-parent support contact. She said I probably know more about shunts than they do at this point and that I'd be perfect for the job. I said that I would love to be called upon to be support for someone. When you're going through it all, you just need a mom who has been through it to tell you what to expect and that it will be okay. I also told them about this blog and that I'd like to share it with them so that they can share it with a mom who is sitting by her baby's bassinet for hours on end while the baby sleeps not knowing how to feel in the situation. They were very excited about that and thought it would be wonderful. The doctor who was the attending when Emma was first admitted and worked through a lot of the meningitis with us thought that it would be very helpful. He also said that eventhough Emma looks so different now, she still looks just like Jeremy!
It was a WONDERFUL visit! I wish that I could do more at the NICU so that I could see them more often. They are truly an outstanding group of people.
Since we were in the area, I decided to stop in at my Obstetrician's office too. During my pregnancy, I connected with the nurses/receptionists in the office during my, at times weekly, ultrasounds and blood pressure checks. I also loved my OB and wanted to see her again. The waiting room was packed with pregnant bellies. It made me miss being pregnant. (I'm not in rush though! I'm happy to enjoy my little Emma for awhile.) The women in the office there also were so excited to see us, thought Emma was precious and couldn't believe she was already 6 months! Now that I think about it, it was a year ago yesterday that I went for one of my first prenatal appointments!
I'm so blessed to have found doctors, nurses and other people in the medical field to take such good care of Emma and I from the start. It's sad to think that they probably won't be there for the birth of our next baby. I told Jeremy shortly after Emma was born that if I got pregnant while we were in NH that I would still have the baby at Beth Israel with the same doctor overseeing my pregnancy. Emma and I were both saved by the doctors at Beth Israel! How could I not want them to be there for other babies. Jeremy looked at me like I was crazy. Well, maybe they can recommend a hospital a little closer that would take just as good care of us. I don't know if that's possible though.
1 comment:
I think it's awesome that you will be a family support! You will be so helpful to others and you have such a wonderful baby to provide hope to others. Loved your cards that we got yesterday- so sweet!
Post a Comment