Big girl! Emma sitting in her glider without Mommy for the first time.
Dear Emma,
My sweet girl, today you are 7 months old. I don't know where the time went. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday that Daddy and I spent our days sitting by your bassinet in the NICU and our nights sitting at home missing you unable to believe that our beautiful baby was asleep in a hospital almost 5 miles away. Other times, those memories seem so distant that they hardly seem real. In just 5 short months, you will turn 1 year old - an absolutely unimaginable milestone. Yet I know it will be here in the blink of an eye.

Our monthly picture with Pooh Bear - a smile for the first time!
Tonight, after dinner, I said to daddy that I sometimes miss when you were so tiny, that you just snuggled up in the crook of our arms sleeping the days and nights away. Then you hug me or giggle and I know I wouldn't want it any other way than the way it is right now. Everyday you change a little. Everyday you seem to learn something you didn't know the day before. You seem to become a little more aware of what's going on. You seem a little more aware of your wants and needs. You seem a little more able to display your emotions. Each and everyday you turn more into Emma Jane Leghorn instead of just this little baby that mommy and daddy named Emma Jane. You become your own person with your own personality. Daddy and I are so honored to be able to watch you turn into this amazing little girl. We wish more of the people who love you could witness this change.
In the last month, you've discovered a lot of new things. You can now pick up anything you reach for.
Trying to choose just the right toy
You are holding things between your thumb and your forefinger, not just clumsily grabbing things with your whole hand. You have started to try to feed yourself your bottle although you are still having a hard time tipping it high enough to get the milk to your mouth. You've started using a sippy cup, although just for practice.

Mommy just puts a little water in there so when you suck on the spout, you'll know you've done it right. You are eating baby food now. I've been making it for you and although you still have a hard time eating a lot, you seem to like your fruits and vegetables. You've had peas, apples and butternut squash so far. We think you might be allergic to butternut squash which is a bummer because you seem to like it. Tonight, you had food again after skipping a few days. You ate a lot! Peas, apples and rice cereal! You seemed to really love every bite because you were reaching for the bowl, grabbing the spoon, and even ended up with peas and cereal in your hair for the first time!
Sheer joy!
The other day, I heard the sweetest sound ... your laugh. I've heard you laugh before, but only when you were being tickled. It's still a sweet sound, of course, but this time you laughed at me, at something I was doing. I was clapping my hands and tapping my legs. You thought it was very funny and started giggling. Your laugh made me laugh and cry at the same time. Tears of joy. I was filled with emotion over my little peanut showing such joy and amusement over something as simple as me clapping my hands. My favorite sound is the sound of your voice. I can only imagine how I'll feel when I hear you say 'Mommy' for the first time.
You are getting bigger and stronger day by day. Today, you sat by yourself much longer than you ever have. I know you can do it, but I think you get scared when you realize you are doing it all by yourself. Don't be scared. I won't let you fall. I may let you topple a little, but only to help you learn to hold yourself up. I'll never let go though and let you truly fall or get hurt. Even if I'm not holding on, I'm there ready to catch you. You are pushing yourself up higher and higher on your arms these days while you are on your tummy. You even almost rolled over yesterday, but your arm got in the way. I imagine that any day now, you will just start sitting all by yourself with no problem and will roll over in every direction to help you get to the things you want. Daddy and I better start babyproofing the house. You are a curious little one and as soon as you can get yourself around, you'll be into everything.
Emma has now learned to use all the toys on her exersaucer and no longer needs the pillow under her feet.
Daddy and I are so pround to be your parents. We couldn't have been blessed with anything more wonderful than you. You bring joy, love and laughter to us everyday. You have changed us, made us better people and made us love each other in a way that we couldn't have before you were born. You are the first thing we think of when we wake up and the last thing on our minds when we got to sleep. We miss you when you go to bed or are taking a nap, when we have to go somewhere and when we have to do work around the house while the other one of us gets to watch you.

Jeremy trying yet again to get Emma to write his thesis for him. She keeps telling him that he won't learn anything if she does it for him.
We can't wait to see what the next few months hold before you turn one. We will be living in a new house by then so as we prepare for the move, I know the time will slip by. I pray that we don't get caught up in moving and miss all the wonderful changes you go through. I hate to miss even one minute of your precious life.
Happy little lovebug sitting in her Boppy pillow
You are my sweet pea, my lovebug, my Emma Bean. I love you more than I ever imagined I could love anyone or anything. I love you more today than I did yesterday and will love you even more tomorrow. Thank you for making the last 7 months so incredible! I love you will all my heart!
Love,
Mommy
1 comment:
With Kiersta it seems that every stage she has reached is the best one yet. I want to freeze her at that stage, but then she reaches the next stage and it is even more amazing than the last. I think you'll find the same to be true, too.
Christie
Post a Comment