Sunday, February 22, 2009

What an Angel ... Most of the Time

It's been a crazy week for us, which is part of the reason I haven't posted since last Sunday. (I'm sorry also that I don't have any new pictures, my camera's battery is dead and I keep forgetting to charge it.) Despite the hectic happenings of the past week, my darling Emma has been an angel ... with a few exceptions.

Last Saturday, we went house hunting. We drove to Dover, NH to meet our realtor at 11. It's an hour drive which Emma slept through. We knew it would be a big day because, with the distance and Jeremy's limited schedule thanks to being knee deep in his thesis, we can't get up there frequently. Our realtor had several houses to show us which was exciting, but I was a little nervous about how Emma would handle the long day. Our sweet girl was perfect! She ate well, slept here and there and was an absolute delight! I think going into so many different houses kept her interested enough that she didn't get bored and antsy.

The trip went so well that we decided to go back on Tuesday to have a meeting with the builder of a new subdivision. Emma again went with us. We first saw a finished house belonging to someone our realtor knew as the houses we'd seen on Saturday were only studs and beams. We wondered if it was too much to expect another good day especially since we'd have to sit in a meeting, but again she was perfect!

We're still not exactly sure what direction we'll end up heading. We don't think we will build and are most likely putting an offer in on a house tomorrow, but things have changed MANY times in the last week, so I really don't know where we will end up in 3 months.

In addition to the trips to New Hampshire, Emma is even an angel at home. She has been such a joy the last few days. She just keeps getting more interested in everything around her. Watching her play and discover is so exciting. Tummy time is getting better and she is on the brink of rolling in all directions. She's just a bit timid. She is constantly amusing us with funny faces and noises. She makes us laugh all the time. She continues, however, to be a bit ... well, QUITE A BIT ... of a drama queen. On Wednesday night, she for no apparent reason, had an intense meltdown. She hadn't napped more than a half hour between about 12:30 and 7 which I think was the source of the tantrum, although, I haven't ruled out severe gas. She screamed for about 45 minutes causing her to gag on her saliva and throw up 3 times. It was one of the scariest and exhausting things Jeremy and I have been through with her. At the time, we had no idea what the problem was and when she didn't quite after 10 minutes, we began to think something was really wrong and that she would never stop. I finally propped her up on my bed in order to give her some space and her binkie without having her choke on all the junk in her throat. She soon calmed down and after I laid her flat on her back and took her wet shirt off, she started kicking and then, laughing ... yes ... laughing! She was fine the rest of the night and went to bed as easily as usual. She's quite exhausting in that state, but it doesn't happen often thankfully!

Tomorrow, Emma has an MRI. They will be looking to see how her ventricles have changed since her last surgery, as well as looking to see that everything still looks good and there isn't any damage. We have to be at the hospital an 6 am and the scan will start at 7:30. She will have to be sedated which makes me nervous. I don't know why as she's been sedated before and did just fine. I guess I've just never seen her sedated and worry that it will be hard for me. I'm also worried that they will forget to reset her shunt properly. Because it has a magnet that allows the rate of flow to be adjusted if needed, it will have to be checked and most likley reset because an MRI is a giant magnet. I will be there to remind them, but it's just one more thing to make me worry. I feel pretty confident that we will get a good report, but I'm pretty sure we will have to wait a few days before we get any official result.

I will report tomorrow about the MRI and possibly a development with the housing situation. Please pray that Emma's MRI and sedation goes well and results in good news!

1 comment:

Sayward said...

drama queen=girl!!!!!!!!!!! get used to it!!! spencer has DAILY meltdowns when we tell her "no" for one thing or another!!! :( it's SUCH a growing pain!!!!!