Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Wait Is Over!

Emma has teeth!!! Her bottom two teeth have both arrived. I thought the day would never come! I noticed sometime last week that her gums around one bottom tooth looked a little different. There was a white spot that eventually began to look like her gums were wearing away over the areawhere her tooth was barely visible. A few days went by and I could clearly see the tooth, now completely free of the gum that had once coverd it. On Saturday, we were out to lunch with my parents. I was keeping Emma occupied by feeding her some pears. Each time she took the pears off the spoon, it felt as if the spoon was dragging across something sharp. I reached my finger in, as I had done many times before to no avail, and felt a tooth! I couldn't believe it! An actual tooth! FINALLY!

The next day, I peeked in, something that is not very easy to do, and found that the tooth sitting next to the new one had begun it's journey to the surface. I saw the same wearing away of her gums. Sure enough a day or two later I could see the tooth, uncovered. Today, I reached in again and felt not one, but two teeth. They haven't risen very high, but I think in a few days, her smile will look very different! I wish I had pictures, but Emma won't open her mouth to show her new pearly whites unless she's laughing hard or crying loudly! Oh well, it's not the prettiest thing to look at right now anyway.

Emma's favorite new teething toy


At Grandma and Grandpa's house, we discovered that Emma's new favorite teething toy is a spoon. Nothing fancy. Nothing made of brightly colored plastic or rubber. Just a plain old spoon. I think the cool metal felt good on her rapidly changing gum line. She probably also enjoyed the sound her new tooth made on the spoon, not to mention the sound the spoon made when she was banging on her high chair or stroller. The best part was that it had a plastic handle making it easy to hold and providing another teethable surface. She loved it so much we took it shopping with us. I did feel a little silly pushing this little girl in a stroller while she clutched her spoon, but she was happy so that's all that really matters. (I'm just thankful she didn't drop it or throw a fit when I took it away when we got in the car.)



I have no idea when the next two teeth will make an appearance, but I think anticipation is highest with the first tooth/teeth. I'm sure I can be more patient in waiting for the arrival of the rest. We'll just enjoy the ones we have now and keep a supply of clean spoons!



Grandma even shared her spoon with Emma at brunch on Sunday.


Sorry I've been neglecting the blog. I noticed I only posted 4 times in March! Oops! Last week, Emma and I were in Pittsburgh visiting my family. We have lots of fun when we are there, but there really isn't much time for the computer. We flew back home last night. My darling angel slept for the whole flight! Much appreciated, since she was the only baby on a plane full of business men and women! Now that April is upon us, I'm hoping to post much more frequently! Emma is changing so quickly (and we'll be so busy packing up our house in preparation for our move) that I'm sure there will be lots to report!

3 comments:

Patrick, Alysha, Silas & Pearl said...

I hope you're headed back to Pittsburgh in early May!!! Wouldn't it be great to spend Mother's Day with your Mama? And of course... have Emma meet Silas!!!! I so hope it works out even though you will be mid-move. Get your bum packing so you're done by then! Congrats on the teeth too! If she's anything like my little guy, they just keep popping up!

Anonymous said...

so cute! E likes to teeth on spoons too.

Princessliak said...

I have spoons all over and in my diaper bag - I think they may become my babe's security blanket!