Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sailing

Sailing.  One of the only hobbies that more than one person in our family has.  Some of us (my dad) are really into it!  Would eat and breathe sailing if he could.  Some of us (my brother and my husband) really enjoy learning how to crew the boat and have taken sailing lessons in Annapolis with my dad.  Some of us (my mom and I) just prefer to go along for the ride.  I have an interest in learning to do the heavy lifting, but am afraid of crashing the boat or getting blown too far out to sea. ( I know, I'm a little dramatic.) Anyway, my mom and I like to go on what we have dubbed 'Shrimp and Chardonnay Cruises'.  We just sit in the back, drink chardonnay and eat shrimp cocktail.

Dad just bought a sailboat, but won't get to sail it for a few more months since it will be sailed in Pennsylvania.  Not wanting to miss any opportunity to sail, Dad decided to charter a sailboat with a captain while in Hilton Head.  It was a little cold and windy to take the girls out for their first sail, so my mom very graciously watched them so I could go.  I almost chickened out, but am so glad I went!

The marina at Shelter Cove

Our sailing vessel belonging to Captain Jim

Birnie boys are ready to sail

Dad was first to take the helm.

Andrew rode up on the side of the boat ...

... then I decided to be brave and join him. (ignore my terrible hair.)

Harbour Town from the water

The aforementioned shrimp cocktail ... it was still quite frozen.  Oops!

Andrew took the helm next. There wasn't much wind so taking the helm at this point meant steering the boat with the motor on. Still fun ...

Terrible picture, but this was a shrimp boat we saw.  In the front of the boat, to the left, you can see a dolphin too!

Dad enjoying chardonnay. Extra classy in a red Solo cup ...

Finally, I took them helm.  I really only wanted to do it long enough to get a picture.  I was afraid of doing something stupid, but didn't want to miss the chance to 'do something' for once. (Wow, I could write a whole post psychoanalyizing that statement.) Anyway, I ended up being pretty good at keeping the boat on course so I stayed.  Then the wind picked up, so we shut the motor off and let out the sails for about half an hour.  I actually sailed! I even 'tacked'!  I think that means taking the bow through the wind to keep the sails full.  You end up going in a zig zag motion.  Anyway, I'm so glad I did it.  I was at the wheel for about 45 minutes to an hour! A lot longer than I intended, and I can officially say I've sailed in the Atlantic!
Not the perfect day for sailing, but it was fun and we'll have good memories!

No comments: