Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is a sweet day.  Nothing big in my book, but it's nice to be reminded of how much you're loved.  I hadn't planned to do too much for Valentine's Day this year, but we did make little cards for Emma's classmates before we left.  I also saw heart shaped cinnamon rolls on Pinterest that I was thinking of making.  A card for my loved ones and maybe a little chocolate. 

Emma on the other hand was very excited about spreading the love.  She spent the last few days making Valentines for just about all of her family members and imaginary friends.  One card after another.  When we were at Wal-Mart the other day, she just had to buy party plates and cups adorned with hearts. Ok fine, we can have an imaginary Valentine's Day party with not so imaginary party plates.  When I heard her exclaim, "I can't wait to see the decorations for Valentine's Day tomorrow!!", I thought I might be in trouble.  Hmmm ... decorations.  Hadn't really planned to decorate.  Streamers was what she asked for specifically.  So streamers it was.  I headed to the local party store for streamers that would fit the bill.

After she was asleep, I went to work.  



Streamers tied in a bow, with construction paper hearts.

Wrapped around the pillar in the kitchen


draped on the back doors
Even a curtain of streamers on her bedroom door

I was going to be really bummed if I didn't get a stellar reaction to all my decorating!  She loved it!

That morning I decided to try my heart shaped cinnamon rolls.  Being on vacation,  I don't have comfort in a strange kitchen like I would have in my own, so I cheated a little.  I bought Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls.  You know, the kind that come in a can.  I thought it was brilliant! Until I opened them and realized that they weren't rolled up.  They were just a circle of dough with 'cinnamon topping' and a swirl imprinted in the top.  Bummer!  So I had to pull them apart on the faux spiral and manipulate them a bit to make them at least sort of look like I wanted them to. 

Curled and pinched - I used two cinnamon rolls for each heart.

Fresh out of the oven

Not as cute as they would have been if I'd done them they right way, but it looks like a heart, right?

Yummy icing!

Ready for our Valentine's breakfast party

Our little party planner


In the end, they were delicious.  Not exactly like the ones I saw on Pinterest, but next time, I know what to do to make them better.  Emma had a good day and was super bummed that Valentine's Day was over. 


Cate was so jealous that she couldn't have any candy or cinnamon rolls that she ate her bib in frustration.
I had a nice day too.  Flowers from Jeremy! My mom and I saw 'The Vow' - great girl movie! And I watched my new copy of 'Breaking Dawn' after the kids went to bed, sipping chardonnay out of my new wine glass covered in handpainted hearts.  We missed Jeremy, but all in all, it was a love filled day.

No comments: