Sunday, December 7, 2008

Things Emma Has Learned


As a first time parent, everything your child does is exciting. She smiles, I'm excited. She giggles, I'm excited. I've even had days when I was excited about her making a dirty diaper. Everything they do seems like a milestone especially at this age. Emma will be 5 months next Monday! It's so hard to believe that yet another month has passed. In that 5 months, Emma has learned alot. I didn't realize how much until I actually typed it out on a message board that I frequent.

Here are a few things that she has learned to do
- smile, in different ways


- giggle, although we've only head it a few times
-squeal with delight

- use her voice to string together different vowel sounds and have a conversation

- make a 'boo-boo' lip, which her pediatrician says is the best she's ever seen

- make wants and needs known, in a very loud way!

- roll from her tummy to her back

- hold her head and chest up off the groud about 90 degrees when in Tummy Time

- that the wash cloth being put under her chin means a bottle is not far behind
- how to lower her voice, make it kind of raspy and even make a little growl

- sit up while I hold her waist

- use her tummy muscles to pull herself up a little

- stand on my lap ... for a long time!

- that screaming loud enough will sometimes get me to take the hat off if it's not too cold outside ( I know, I know ... I'm the mommy! I'm in charge!)


- watch me move around the room

- reach up and grab her toys on her activity gym or on her pack and play


- grab and pull my hair ... and hold on for dear life!

- grasp toys and put them in her mouth


- that putting anything in your mouth and biting feels good when your teeth are slowly starting to come in


- that not EVERYONE with a stethoscope around his or her neck is going to do something bad to her

- that amoxicillin and Zantac don't taste too bad - bubble gum and peppermint! She now sucks them out of the oral syringe we give them to her in.

- that she can reach and grab her feet

- that lifting her legs and dropping them forcefully makes a nice sound on her mattress or the floor

- that going out and running errands is way more fun than staying at home.

- that she may just be able to climb out of her Bumbo seat


- that her swing really is a lot of fun

I'm sure there are a million more things that I can't think of right now. Most importantly, I'm hoping she's learned that we love her and will do anything for her! Okay maybe she doesn't quite get that. It's a big concept, but hopefully she's getting there!






No comments: