Okay so we aren't actually going to Holland or anywhere abroad for that matter, but it's a bit of a metaphor for the journey our lives are taking. Our friends, John and Michele, were visiting on Friday. Michele also blogs - Just One L - and was telling me about a friend of hers, also a new mom, who has a blog about her journey. Her little girl is just over a year and has a syndrome called CHARGE. I don't know all the particulars, but I read her blog the other day. She has to face challenges everyday that no parent imagines they will have to face. Her family is going through so much, but her blog is inspiring. She seems so upbeat and take charge of her situation. One of her posts was a story about visiting Holland that her midwife shared with her. It is apparently used frequently in the world of children with special needs. I can't recreate it as beautifully as it was written, but I'll try to sum it up.
The story is about a trip to Italy that you've prepared for. You've made all your reservations, bought your guide book, done all your research and planned a wonderful trip. When your plane lands you're told you are in Holland. You don't understand. You never planned a trip to Holland. You're supposed to be in Italy. You aren't prepared for Holland, but you are told you must stay. You're frustrated because all your friends have gone to Italy and have told you how wonderful it is. The story goes on to say that although you didn't prepare for Holland and it may not be as flashy as Italy, you start to notice that Holland has tulips and windmills. You learn to love and enjoy Holland.
In July, our 'plane' was diverted to 'Holland'. I still sometimes can't believe we ended up here, but it still has most of the same wonderful experiences as 'Italy', so to speak. 'Holland' may have more doctors appointments and it may have surgery. I may worry more than I would in 'Italy' and I may still look at others who got to go to 'Italy' and feel envious. The important thing to remember though, as Michele's friend put it, is that all of those things are just moments on our trip. What is more important is how we fill the time in between those trying moments. Here is how we've spent that time in the last few days:
We had friends come to visit and meet our little sweet pea for the first time.
John and Michele were in Connecticut for the holiday from DC, so they graciously made the trip up to see us.
Emma got up close and personal with a dog for the first time. Our friends Keith and Stacey have a dog, but Emma has never really interacted with her. John and Michele brought their pug, Daisy, along for the trip.
I'm not sure how Emma felt about her, but she didn't seem too frightened.
John and Michele brought a friend from DC and also surprised us with one of Jeremy's high school buddies, Eric. Eric seemed to go gaga for Emma. Emma loved him too.
I've never seen her so comfortable with a stranger before. Eric also brought Emma her first Cabbage Patch Kid that his daughter picked out for her!
Finally, Jeremy, Emma and I put up our Christmas tree on Saturday.
Emma seems enthralled with with lights and all the shiny ornaments (although, maybe not in this picture).
We also found some Christmas buddies for her!
Our life is good. A challenging trip maybe, but I've learned recently that we are blessed. I've seen so many children in the past few months, mostly on our visits to Children's with conditions and illnesses that are far scarier, more trying and unpredictable that Emma's shunt. I am trying to take a step back from my concerns, and the occasional private pity party I have with myself, and thank God that it's only a shunt. Although, I planned for 'Italy', 'Holland' isn't so bad!
1 comment:
We had such a nice visit with you, we were happy to finally meet Emma.
I am glad you read Hannah's blog, she is such an inspiration.
Post a Comment