Monday, April 25, 2011

Settling In

We have officially been in our new home (my parents' house) for 2 weeks.  Of course, based on the piles of belongings that have yet to be put away, it looks like we just arrived yesterday. I'll blame it on a very needy 2 1/2 year old and my limited energy level thanks to this pregnancy.  Ummm ... yeah. We'll go with that.

Jeremy was here for a few days the first week before having to head back to New Hampshire to deal with movers, cleaners, fence installers, and walls that needed to be patched and painted.  All is well there.  The new tenants move in tomorrow! Hope they're happy with it!  J is headed back this way for a few days this week before making his way down to VA.

In addition to the challenge provided by moving part of a family and household into another household, settling in with a soon to be 3 year old has been more challenging than I might have been prepared for.  Actually, I did worry that she wouldn't adapt well.  That, eventhough her words conveyed that she understood what was happening, she wouldn't really get it until she'd been here for awhile. Everyone kept telling me not to worry about it though.  That kids bounce back easily and I was making a bigger deal of it than it was.  I guess in some ways that is true, but I would say her transition has been less than smooth.

Emma was thrilled to be here upon arrival.  Even after a longer than anticipated car ride on the day of our arrival, (At the last minute, we decided to drive all the way through from Hartford instead of stopping overnight in State College.) she was excited and happy when we arrived.  It was only after her stuff from home started arriving 2 days later that she started to wonder what was really up. All of a sudden, she didn't want to move to this house.  She wanted to go back to our old house. She's still not sure about it, but talks about Daddy's new job and knows, sort of, why we moved here.

She has good days and bad days.  Seems to be one day on and one day off.  Then we both got a cold which added to her cranky demeanor.  She has become very clingy, only wanting me most of the time.  She even, at times, says she doesn't want to see Grandma or Grandpa, which she has been doing with Jeremy for a few months now.  5 minutes later, they're her best friend.  I thinks she gets mad when the people she loves have to leave her for any length of time.  Maybe afraid they won't come back.  Mom and Dad have had busy weeks since we've been here so maybe it's transferred on to them. Who knows!? How I wish I had majored in child psychology!

Last weekend, we had a time-out battle.  One 2.5 minute time out, lasted about 20 minutes because she kept getting up out of her time-out spot.  It happened, at least 2 other times over the course of an hour or so. I stuck to my guns though and she did her time.  That episode, which as very out of character, promted me to Google 'stress in toddlers'.  Apparently toddlers can be stressed and she exhibits most of the signs - clingy-ness, whining, disruption in sleep patterns, reduction in appetite, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if she has lost weight since she's been eating like a bird.  Her strong emotions and strong willed behavior combined with my pregnancy hormones have led to one or two mommy breakdowns leaving me feel like a bad parent and like have no idea what I'm doing.  Thank the Lord, I have the support of my parents to help when I need a break or some encouragement.

I think we're on an upswing though.  The last couple days have been good days.  There is still some of that cranky, stubborn, 2-year-old behavior going on, but she's much more herself these days.We're all trying to be consistent with her when it's approriate and give in a little when it's helpful. We've done a lot of fun things since we've been here in spite of the fact that it's been raining for at least a week. 

Emma started Music Together which we had been participating in back in Portsmouth for the last several months.  She loves her new teacher and is having fun with the kids in her new class, as well as learning to stand up for herself with one kid who tends to be a little more agressive than she is used to.  She can hold her own though!

Last weekend, Aunt Jen got us tickets for the Pittsburgh Symphony (where she now works) for the Disney In Concert program. We had awesome 4th row seats and the music was fabulous! Emma enjoyed every second and declared as soon as we sat down in front of the strings section - "Mommy, I want a violin! I really want a violin!" Grandma and Grandpa went too.  We all loved it!
Emma at Heinz Hall after her first symphony performance.

This week, we went to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History because Emma has been requesting to see the dinosaurs.  Again, she loved it and soaked it all in.  The exhibits there really are amazing.  They've done a lot to them since I was a kid.  We also saw lots of animal exhibits - stuffed, of course - but really neat since you can't get that close to those animals while they're alive!  Grandpa and Emma spent a lot of time in the American Indian exhibit. Mom and I were exhausted by that point and enjoyed a movie about the Inuits (I believe) while they explored together. Pittsburgh has so much to offer in terms of culture.  I don't know if people who have always lived here, appreciate what is available. Living in so many other places, I can come back and be amazed at what we have access to.

Emma really wanted to see the dinosaurs. Can you see one in the background?
Emma and a giraffe.  I couldn't believe how tall it was! I've seen giraffes before but this one was HUGE!


Yesterday, Aunt Jen and Uncle Andrew came over for a baking day.  We baked egg shaped cakes and sugar cookies and dyed Easter eggs in preparation for today.  The Easter Bunny hid a basket of goodies for little Emma Bean which she found early this morning before church.  Then we had lunch/dinner at our house with Andrew, Jen, my aunt and uncle, and my uncle's father. Andrew, Jen and Emma had an Easter Egg hunt which Emma won.  Hmm ... wonder if they might have let her win ;)  All in all a good, chocolate filled day.  We were all tired at the end of it and Emma fell asleep almost immediately after I put her to bed.

Helping Aunt Jen with the mixer

Dying eggs. As I took this picture, Emma grabbed that cup of red dye and spilled all over everything.

Trying her first hard boil egg. She dropped it and it cracked so nothing to do but eat it.

Searching for her Easter basket
Found it!

She didn't make it all the way through church, but enjoyed the cinnamon rolls in the Robinson Room.

Egg hunting
 Yes, I think we're settling in.  I'm happy to be here and have already been reminded a few times why I'm here with my parents instead of trying to do this alone.  I know Emma will soon overcome her stress.  It might be a trying time, but we'll all make it through.  And it's only another 15 weeks (or less) until Baby Cate arrives! Can't wait to see how that affects Emma since she already thinks Cate is stealing her bed and all her toys.  Ahh, sibling rivalry already! Of course, I shouldn't be surprised, while Emma was sitting on my lap the other day, Cate was kicking her in the head!

 
Emma and I at the symphony
(Blogger wouldn't let me put this where I wanted it so you get it here.)


1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I feel your stress and understand what you're going through EXACTLY! Life without e support of a husband is tough. The appreciation I have for single moms increases everyday. I'll let you know the next time we're in pittsburgh and we can do a playdate.

Kim