Wednesday, September 14, 2011

8 Weeks, 2 days

What another post from me already?  I know you're in awe, right?!  To think I used to post everyday.  EVERY day!  I don't know how I did it.  Well for one thing, I only had one tiny little baby to take care of.  I had a lot more to report on, as well, with all her doctors appointments and health updates. 

Anyway,  I am posting today because Cate is 8 weeks and 2 days old.  I didn't do an '8 weeks' post so I guess this will be it.  8 weeks and 2 days is significant though.  Not just an 'Oops, I didn't post on Monday so now I have to make up for it' post.  Today is important because Emma came home with us at 8 weeks and 2 days old.  Cate is the same exact age now as Emma was the first time she rode in a car.  The first time she was carried through our front door. The first time she slept in the pack n play in our room.  The first time we gave her a bottle on our couch.  The first time I really felt like she was mine.  I mean really, really felt it.

Emma in her first hours home.

Technically not the same day, but we were apparently too busy that day to take many pictures.
 This was a day and a half later.
Cate has been mine since the moment she arrived.  Cord was cut, she was wrapped up and they gave her to me.  We have been together since that moment.  We've always slept in the same room, either at the hospital or here.  I've never slept without her bassinett or pack n play right next to my bed.  We've even slept in hotel rooms together already.  Amazing how different her first 8 1/2 weeks have been than Emma's were.  It's been so much easier in spite of all that we have had going on.  She just fits right into our life.  In a way though,  I feel like I haven't really known what to go with her because I don't have Emma to compare her too.  We always had nurses telling us what to do next.  Maybe try some tummy time.  Attach some toys to her crib rail so she has something to look at.  Try feeding her a little more.  Maybe a different bottle would keep her from losing so much formula.  I've figured everything out as the days have passed, but she hasn't had a lot of tummy time.  She doesn't have any toys to look at in her bed either since she still sleeps in her pack n play.  Sure hope I haven't delayed her development!


She's 8 weeks and 2 days now.  Now I can compare.  I know, I know! You can't compare your children.  True.  They are already so different.  Cate sleeps more, eats more, and cries a lot less!  And while they look so much alike it amazes me, Cate's hair is darker and doesn't stick up everywhere.  Her eyes are  a deeper blue and not as big and wide as Emma's.  She seems longer and a little rolly-pollier than Emma did at this age.  She already eats more in a day than Emma ever did and sleeps through the night most nights (10pm to 6:30 am last night!).  Oh, and she's also only been to the doctor twice so far, whereas, Emma went so much I felt like taking her was my job! (Okay, it was my job, but you know what I mean!)


I guess I'm not really comparing my children, but my parenting or maybe just the time line of our lives.  I can look back and see what clothes I had her wearing at this point.  In fact, I just noticed a pair of jeans in a picture that I haven't taken our of the '3-6 month' clothes bin yet because I figured they would be too big. So now, after seeing that, I'm going to go unpack them because if Emma could wear them at this point, Cate surely can.  I can see what toys she was playing with and how much tummy time she was doing.   I can see what our outings were like and think back to what her daily schedule was. It's like this weird new starting point to her life.  I know that's strange to say, but I have no other frame of reference than Emma. 

Cate in the outfit we brought Emma home from the hospital in.

 So on Cate's '8 weeks and 2 days' day,  she is wearing the outfit Emma wore home from the hospital, but that's were the similiarties - other than eating, sleeping and pooping - in the day end.  She's already been to Emma's dance class and Starbucks today.  I'm not in a panic that we'll have to rush back to the hospital.  Sadly, Jeremy is not here to help with the tasks of the day as he was 3 year ago.  Oh, and I have things so together (yeah, right!) that I have both of my girls napping at the same time for the second day in a row! 
My ...

... smiley ...

... girl.

Emma's first 8 weeks and 2 days taught me a lot, made me a much stronger person and turned me into a 'fierce mother' as someone once told me I was.  Cate's have made me realize how blissful and, dare I say, realively easy parenting a newborn can be.  I hold the memories of Emma's first days close to my heart and sometimes miss them, but I'm so happy to be doing it differently this time around!

No comments: