Septmber 11th - We will never forget. For the past 10 years, it's been a day that we feel mournful for those who lost their lives or their loved ones. A day that we feel shocked that something as horrific as the events of that day could happen in the United States. A day that we feel a little more patriotic and a little more united as a country.
I will never forget where I was on that day. Living in Milpitas, CA teaching 2nd grade at Brooktree Elementary. I woke up to the news of the crash. It was happening as my alarm went off because of the 3 hour time difference. I spent the day, one of my first as a teacher, trying to explain to my 7 year old students what had happened in a way that they could understand and in a way that their parents wouldn't feel was too grown up for them. Several of my students were taken out of school that day when fears of an attack on the West Coast emerged. I will never forget that day.
We now have a new reason to remember September 11th. 3 years ago today, our little Emma Bean came home from the hospital after 8 weeks and 2 days in the NICU. It's a much happier reason to remember September 11th. Now that we have Cate, and it feels like we've had her forever, it's hard to believe she is the same age as Emma was when we finally brought her home. It's amazing how much easier things are this time around.
 |
| September 11, 2008 - Emma in her new home in Somerville, MA |
 |
| (Around) September 11, 2009 - Swimming in our backyard in Dover, NH |
 |
| September 11, 2010 - Walking in the woods in Dover, NH |
We will never forget what happened on September 11th, 2001, but we will also never forget that specail day that our beautiful Emma finally came home.
 |
| September 10, 2011 - Harvest Festival in Sewickley, PA |
1 comment:
What a wonderful way to live Sept 11 for your family. I will try to remember this and Emma on Sept 11ths to come- a much happier, hopeful memory.
Post a Comment