Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Future Pulitzer Prize?

Emma's imagination is currently in full bloom.  She plays all day with dolls and figurines, doning costumes, telling elaborate stories.  The other day she even drew a map then followed it around the house to 'Stink Bug Swamp' where there are lots of stinky plants and 'Ha Ha Hedges' where visitors laugh uncontrollably.  She comes up with names like Cupcakish, Lolly, Ashilotti and Fiormalis to name her stuffed animals and dolls (and binkies).  The imagination on this one is unlike anything I've ever seen.
Amish hat:check, skinny jeans: check, binky: check.
 Just one of the many crazy 'costumes' Emma can be found wearing.

Today she was telling a story about a picture she drew.  It was quite elaborate and quite well told.  She even said something like " 'I love it!' the mommy said as she opened the gift." The 'as' was what really surprised me.  She also told another story in which she said, 'The boy came upon some grass." Again, the phrase 'came upon' struck me.  Such small words, but when used in this way by a 3 year old, they seem rather impressive.  Maybe just because I'm the mommy. 

On our way to the sypmphony.  I just think this picture is so Emma.
 Doesn't have much to do with the content of this post.  Just cute.

When she tells stories, she uses approriate inflection the way a teacher would read a beloved story aloud.  I decided to ask her to tell me a story so that I could write it down.  We've been practicing writing letters - she can write her name and a few other letters.  She wants to be able to write stories and make lists though, so I decided I would transcribe her words onto paper.  We wrote 2 stories today.  The result is typed word-for-word from her little mouth below. The words in parentheses are mine to clarify a few words.

'The Little Boy Went Out to the Woods'
A little boy was walking around in the grass and soon he went into the woods. And his name was Auger (rhymes with Roger). He climbed a tree and then when he climbed down slowly, he saw a squirrel in a hole tree.  It had lots of holes.  When he went back home, he saw his moher.  And then at night time in the morning when he woke up from his nap, it was Christmas.  He made a snowman and then he scooped up a snowball in his hands and put it in his snow jacket.  But then, after his bath, it had a little stain in his pocket.  His snowball was gone!  When he went outside to put on his snow boots, he scooped up a new snowball.  When he went inside, he told his mother that he scooped up a new snowball for his mother. She said, 'Oh that's beautiful, Honey!'  Then it melted in his pocket.  Then his mother couldn't see it again.  Now he told his mother that there was two stains in his pocket.  Then, at the end, when the snowballs melted, he couldn't see them again just like his mother couldn't see hers again.  And that was the end!

'The Cows Laid Down in Their Sleepy Bedrooms'
A cow was mooing aroud and then flew up into outer space in a rocket chip (Yes, chip not ship!) The cow's name was Moo.  And then Moo went on and then smelled the flowers.  And then he went off again to see some leaves.  He had a journey to find something to eat.  And then he found a house for him to sleep in with one, two bedrooms.  His mama and papa could share their bedrooms.  He was a little cow and he had a baby brother.  And now Moo found a little TV in their house.  They watched television.  Moo watched his own TV.  THE END


Ahh, my sweet girl.  What a creative little being.  These are just the stories she told me.  The ones she tells herself are even more elaborate.  I wish I could make her wear a wire so I could record them all!

1 comment:

The Gillefonds said...

What a joy to observe her! Definitely put a wire on her! haha!