Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween!



Last night we celebrated Emma's 1st Halloween! I decided awhile ago that she would be a bunny since she looked so cute in her bunny towel and she received a lot of baby gifts that were bunnies. I procrastinated on her costume for quite awhile and had hardly anything done as of Thursday night. I was making it without a pattern and couldn't figure out how to make certain parts, but I finally had some quiet time to get it right. Emma woke up at 4:30 yesterday morning and when she fell asleep an hour later I decided I needed to finish it. Not the most well made garment I've ever made, but it would do for a costume.

For lunch, we went to our friends' house, so Stacey and I put the kids in their costumes to take a picture. Of course, Emma was the least agreeable. She didn't really like the costume much esepcially since part of it covered her head.
She's not a fan of things like hats on her head. She finally did settle down and we were able to get some cute pictures.

We had seen some neighbors earlier in the week who were interested in seeing Emma so we promised we'd bring her by to trick-or-treat. I wanted to dress up too, but hadn't figured out what to be. My standby costumes are a little snug still post-baby. My fall back has always been 'a baby' - pajamas, pigtails, a binkie and a stuffed animal. I realized that this year it was perfect! I'd be a little kid and Emma could be 'stuffed animal'.
We put our costumes on headed downstairs to see our neighbors and decided we would trick-or-treat with their family.

Sadly in Somerville, at least our neighborhood, trick-or-treating is not a big thing. I remember trick-or-treating when I was kid was so much fun. When I was really little, we lived in a 'plan'. There were lots of houses, lots of kids and lots of candy. The streets were packed with kids and their parents and we used to come home with pillow cases full of candy. Even when we moved down into 'the village' there were lots of houses to go to and many neighborhoods to explore as we got older. In Someville, we only found a handful of houses that were giving out candy. We obviously weren't collecting for Emma, but I felt bad for Simon and Helena.

Emma finally pooped out so we headed home while the other kdis continued on. When we came home, it was still early so I was expecting more trick-or-treaters, but I think our door bell rang twice. Oh well, hopefully when Emma really starts trick-or-treating, we'll live in a nice neighborhood full of kids.
We ended our evening with a visit from my mom. Her plane arrived around 8:30 and she laughed when she saw me get out of the car in pigtails and my penguin pajamas. Emma was sitting in her swing in her bunny costume when we got back home. Grandma thought she was adorable and couldn't believe how much she had changed since she last saw her. We're looking forward to the rest of our weekend with her!

No comments: