Wow! Babies bounce back quickly. Last night when I left, Emma had been awake, but was uncomfortable and sleepy. I knew she was still under the effects of anesthesia, a small dose of morphine and Tylenol, so although I was worried, it wasn't unexpected. This morning, I arrived at 8 to find Emma wide eyed and happy. She was laying in her bed looking around, kicking and squirming, but happy as can be. I was so happy to see her looking like herself. She even seemed unaware that she now has a new 'body part'.
She looked hungry, but wasn't screaming yet. I wanted to feed her, but was afraid to pick her up. I couldn't image how to handle the area where her shunt now exists. I hate to admit it, but I am afraid of her shunt. It is on the back of her head and leaves a large bump. The incision is above it and scares me to death. Not because it looks so awful, but because I am afraid that it is going to split open, bleed or get infected. While I waited for the nurse to come help me, I started slowly by adjusting her position. She has been on a special bed that can be raised at one end. Sometimes it's called a warmer, but it is also called a 'head-up bed'. The doctor wanted her head raised a bit, but when she squirms, she slides down to the bottom. When she didn't scream as I adjusted her, I started to gain a bit of confidence. I still had the nurse place her in my arms so that I could give her a bottle, but by the end of the day, I felt much better about handling her.
She ate well and stayed awake for a few hours. She seemed like her oldself and didn't seem to be bothered by anything. I thought she would spend the rest of the afternoon napping and waking only to eat, as she usually does. Emma had her own ideas though. She really never fell asleep. She dozed a few times while I was holding her, but when I would go to put her down, she started crying. I'd calm her only to have her cry, because she had gas pains. Apparently, anesthesia makes you VERY gassy. After she relieved her pains ... loudly ... she'd settle again. Then she would cry as a result of a dirty diaper. After changing her, she would be hungry for a little snack and the cycle would continue. By 6, I was exhausted and emotional, so her nurse said that I should go home and rest. She promised to hold her or put her in the swing if she continued to keep herself awake.
I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring. I am so surprised by the difference in her schedule. I think she feels better both from surgery and from having some of the pressure in her head relieved. Hopefully, her wakefulness was in preparation of getting herself on a better schedule - awake during the day and asleep at night.
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures today. I was holding Emma most of the day. I also wasn't sure when normal activity could resume, so I stuck with putting her in her bed and craddling her. It was a tiring day, but, aside from some gas pains, I think she felt good which is all that really matters!
1 comment:
Aren't babies amazing! When Spencer had her surgery, they were like, "ok, she will be a bit fussy, but that will last until tomorrow." I realize her surgery was much different than Emma's, but the GASSY-ness was entirely the same. I thought it was quite funny! But, I know she was quite uncomfortable!
Post a Comment