Friday, August 29, 2008

Oh, Emma!

We often find ourselves saying "Oh, Emma." It has many uses and conveys many emotions - delight, adoration, shock, love, sadness, etc. Today I said "Oh, Emma." many times and in many different ways.

It started when I arrived this morning. I walked in, signed the visitor book, and washed my hands as usual. I turned to walk to her room and said, "Oh, Emma!" There she was sitting in her swing in the doorway of her room looking very sweet in her little bow, a pretty little shirt and her pink fleece blanket. This time the phrase conveyed surprise and happiness to see my little princess.

I then noticed that her roommate, Caroline, was gone. I knew she hadn't gone home, because her mother and I talked frequently about how long it was going to take to get our girls home. One of the nurses said that they had to be separated because they kept each other up at night. Again ... "Oh, Emma." ... as if to say, "Were you and Caroline being naughty?" We miss Caroline, but is was nice to have our own room, if only for a short time. Another baby was moved in later in the afternoon. We will really miss Caroline and her family.

"Oh, Emma!!" is often exclaimed during a diaper change. Today it was used twice in response to diapers. During the first, her leg slipped out of my hand and landed in her open, dirty diaper. Not a pretty sight, but we got it cleaned up. It was nothing compared to the second time I uttered those two words. While changing what I thought was just a wet diaper, Emma decided to 'christen' me. She has done it to her dad, but not nearly to the extent that I got it. It was projectile and there was a lot of it. Our nurse kindly changed Emma's bed and got me a scrub top to wear the rest of the day.


We ended the day with a good, "Oh, Emma!". Neurology came by and told us that Emma's ultrasound looked the same as the other two this week, making it the longest she has gone with her ventricles staying exactly the same! She will have another ultrasound on Tuesday. Hopefully, it will yield the same results!

1 comment:

Sayward said...

OK. She is, seriously, getting cuter every single day! I can't take it. I need to hold that little girl in my arms and SQUEEZE! I hope your weekend is wonderful with Andrew and Aunt Jen. We love you and are PRAYING and PRAYING! Church is tomorrow, so we'll do it double time at 11am! Love you!!!!