Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Early Intervention

At around 9 this morning, 3 lovely women came to visit. They were therapists from Early Intervention and were here to evaluate Emma's development thus far. I was interested in what they had to say but nervous about both what they'd observe and how Emma would behave. 9 in the morning is not a very predictable time around our house. She could be eating, sleeping or playing, happy or cranky. One never really knows. Luckily today, she had just woken up from a nap and was actually in quite a playful mood. I was also nervous that since they were strangers forcing her to do certain things that she would do what she does at almost every doctor's appointment ... scream! Luckily, though, she didn't scream. At least, not until the end of the hour when she was hungry and tired.

One of the therapists tried lots of different things to test for reflexes and strength. She had her bare weight on her legs, track objects, try to turn her head from one side to the other while on her back, lift her head during while on her tummy and lift her head forward while being pulled to a sitting position. She asked me lots of questions about things I observe that she couldn't, some of which I could answer and some of which I couldn't. I felt bad when she asked me if Emma performed a certain skill and I couldn't say yes or no. There were many things that I wouldn't have thought to look for though. For example, does she watch me as I walk around the room. Hmmm ... I never noticed. Plus, I'm usually holding her if she's awake.

In the end, they felt that she came out right in between her chronological age of 3 months and her gestational age of 2 months. Some areas she was high and some a little lower. Her cognotive development and language development are closer to a 4 month old, while visual perception and fine motor (I think) are closer to 2 months. Overall, they felt she looked great and is developing very well. We knew we wanted services regardless, but I have to admit I started to become the parent I hated as a teacher. I used to get so frustrated when I suggested areas in which a child needed to focus only to be told that the child just needed to be 'challenged' or did those things at home and the parent didn't know why he or she didn't at school. The children of these parents were perfect and there was no room for improvement. I began making excuses about Emma too. Either saying that she performed those skills all the time or it was too early in the day or she has had so many setbacks since she's been in the hospital or recovering for so much of her life. All of those things are true, but I had to remind myself that it's okay if she's not perfect and needs a little extra attention in some areas. Who doesn't want someone to tell them that their child is amazing and has completely defied the odds!?

Their main concern is our main concern too, though. Emma still has a preference for her left side instead of the right side where her shunt resides. She is able to turn towards it and lay on it, but she tends not to and her neck is much more flexible in the other direction. If nothing else, we'd like to get rid of that preference. It's starting to disappear on it's own, but it will be nice to have someone help us.

Also this afternoon, we saw Dr. Sullivan for what seems like our weekly appointment. She weighed in at 12 lbs 1 oz. Not as high as her weight at the urologist, but I knew it was too high anyway and wasn't really thinking too much about it. 12 lbs 1 oz puts her at a gain of 8 oz in 11 days. Very good! Dr. Sullivan was pleased and agrees that the Zantac must be helping. She is a little below the 50th percentile for weight. I asked if that meant she was too small, but she said anything on the chart is 'normal'. She just wants her to grow at the same rate consistently which she has been doing. Emma behaved very well, even smiling and laughing at Dr. Sullivan. She thought Emma looked wonderful and felt that her head looked better! I said that I thought so but that I really didn't know to which she responded that it definitely looked better and she could feel the shunt more than she ever had before. She gushed and fussed over Emma and how cute she was and how awesome she was doing as I just stood by watching and grinning from ear to ear so proud of my littel lovebug! Her next appointment will be in 2 weeks for her 4 month check up. I can't believe she'll be 4 months already!

Aside from a follow-up with neurosurgery in a few weeks, we've come to the end of our crazy appointment schedule. Sure we'll still have frequent pediatrician appointments and and our weekly Early Intervention session at home, but I feel as if we can finally settle a little. I'm afraid to say that, but it just feels like we had to get through this month and then we could kind of relax. A lot of good things came out of this month and we now have no doubts that, even if she has to have more revision surgeries, Emma will be absolutley normal and will be an intelligent, happy and active little girl. Now please pray that I didn't just jinx myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good idea--joining with others who have similiar problems--you learn so much about the practical things and tips from people that have had experiences.

Hydrocephalous is a spooky word when one looks at the past, totally different story now. with regards jan