Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Home Again!


A little over 24 hours after Emma's surgery, she was sent back home. We're happy to be back. Emma and I are very tired and both took about a 3 hour nap this afternoon. I'm hoping we'll do equally well with our sleeping tonight.


Emma is doing well, but I think she's absolutely reached her limit of having people poke and prod her. She expressed her annoyance loud and clear this afternoon. In preparation for discharge, the nurses were taking out her IV and re-doing her turban. Emma made it known that she was not happy. The screamed for at least 5 minutes straight. Around noon, a little boy who was about 5 was brought into the other side of our room. Luckily up until that point we had been alone. When he heard her screaming, he got a little frightened and his parents tried to assure him that she was okay. I also called over that she was okay, but was just mad at us for bugging her. At the end of her screaming fit, I heard the boy's fear turn to aggrivation. He asked the nurse if we could make the baby stop crying. "Could you stop the baby from crying please? I've had ENOUGH!" he said. His parents apologized, but I certainly wasn't upset. I would have been aggrivated too.

Leaving the hospital was much less dramatic as it was leaving the NICU. Rightly so I suppose. We were only there for a day, but nonetheless, the nurse brought in her paperwork, went over it quickly, then we were out the door! After our stay, I am even more grateful for the NICU and so glad we stayed there instead of transferring the few times we had the opportunity. Oh well, we're home now and hopefully we'll be here for a long, long time without going back for another hospital stay.

Emma is sleeping again. I'm sure tomorrow she will feel even better. So far the headwrap is still on securely! Only 24 hours until we can take it off! I'm sure that alone will make her feel better, at least until she sees her hair. I'm sure after being wrapped up for days it's going to look lovely!

No comments: