Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sandy Saturday

Well, we had planned to go on a picnic with friends today, but that didn't work out so we went to the beach! Today was an absolutely beautiful day! The kind of day that calls you outside. Days like this are numbered in Boston, so I want to be out enjoying them.

Our neighbor popped in to say hi this afternoon. When we told him we wanted to spend some time outside he suggested Nahant Beach. It's about 25 minutes from our house. We hopped in the car, stopping to get coffee and lunch on the way and headed to Nahant. There are 3 parts to the beach, but we weren't sure exactly where we wanted to be. We drove through the town, which is quite charming, coming close to the coast every few minutes. We got out to 'the neck' where the houses were huge and absolutely stunning with a view to match.
After touring a little, we found the area we were seeking. We parked the car, strapped Emma in her stroller and walked along a path that lines the beach. It was much chillier than I expected, but we wrapped Emma in a blanket when we found a bench where we could feed her.
We took turns eating our lunches as well.

Then we took Emma in her stoller on to the beach.
It was dificult getting out there, but it was low tide so there was a large stretch of hard sand perfect for pushing the stoller.
The beach was quiet - just the sounds of the lapping waves and the breeze. The air was so crisp and cool with the smell of salt water. Our walk reminded me how much I love the beach, even when it's cold. I would love to go back again sometime this fall.

I'll admit, I wasn't having the best day today. Just frustrated with a lot of different things -- Emma's shunt being a large part of my frustration. Taking the drive around Nahant and walking along the beach, really washed away my frustration! I came home feeling refreshed (although a bit sandy). Thank goodness I now know where to go to clear my head and wash away my worries!

No comments: